Functions and Powers of the Chairman
- The Chairman shall exercise such powers for the conduct of the business of the
Society as may be delegated to him by the Governing Body.
- The Chairman may, in writing, delegate such of his powers as he may think
necessary to the Director.
Functions and Powers of the Director
- The appointment of the Director shall be made by the Governing Body on
recommendation of search committee constituted by the Body, following the
procedure laid down by the Central Government and relevant by laws of the
institute. The Director of the Institute shall be an eminent scientist or an
eminent Senior Professor.
- The tenure of appointment of the Director shall be
five years at a time, provided that a Director whose term of appointment is over
may be asked by the Governing Body to continue to hold office till a new
Director is appointed and assumes charge of his office. On completion of the
term, a Director may continue as an Eminent Scientist according to the rules of
service and retirement.
- The Director shall be the executive head as well as
the academic head of the Institute and shall be in administrative charge of the
Institute and its employees.
- It shall be the duty of the Director to see that
the provisions of the Memorandum of Association, the Rules and Regulations and
the By-laws are duly observed and he shall have all the powers necessary for
- The Director shall exercise general control over the affairs of
the Institute and shall give effect to the decisions of the Governing Body and
the Scientific Advisory Committee.
- The Director may delegate powers, functions
and duties to any other member(s) of the staff of the Institute with the
approval of the Governing Body as deemed necessary for the efficient
administration of the Institute and for a proper and effective control over the
staff. The powers delegated to the Director by the Governing Body may also be
delegated by the Director to others but only with the approval of the Governing
- The Director may constitute committees with such functions as may be
assigned to them to assist him.
- All powers relating to the proper maintenance
of discipline in the Institute shall be vested in the Director.
- The Director
shall have the authority to incur expenditure to such extent and in such a
manner as may be prescribed by the Governing Body from time to time.
to the rules, the Director shall have the power on behalf of the Institute to
sanction all expenditure within the approved budget and to make
re-appropriations, subject to the conditions prescribed in Rule 67-68.
Director shall have the power on behalf of the Institute to negotiate and
authorize contracts being entered into in the name of the Institute.
to the provisions of these Rules and Regulations and the By-laws, the Director
shall also discharge such functions and exercise such powers as may be delegated
to him by the Governing Body.
- If in his opinion an exigency has arisen which
requires immediate action to be taken in the interest of the Institute, the
Director shall, in consultation with the Chairman, take such action as deemed
necessary and shall report the same at the next meeting of the body, if any,
which would in the ordinary course have dealt with the matter.